Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog #3: Abstract and the Lack of Progress

Well unfortunately I'm still wracking my mind over our current abstract project. Every possible idea that comes into my mind I'm ultimately unsatisfied with. Even at 3a.m. last night as I lay in my bed trying to dose off every thought somehow led to a potential material or shape only to be followed by the utter frustration of not being "clever" enough or not having some significant correlation between the two.
   Yesterday, in an attempt to find some workable materials, I went to a nearby creek and picked a bundle of reeds. All I managed to do was weave some hot mats or coasters. What's frustrating is that I have a specific idea or form in mind but not the means to accomplish it. (I'd need a sautering iron or a ton of unsightly glue). Branches: too erratic; crayons/wax: too fragile; tin foil: too trashy, etc.

I had another potential "skin" in mind made from human hair and LOTS of hairspray, but again, in this case I'd want to accomplish perfect geometric shapes with a material that isn't normally geometric. At this point I'm just waiting for my muse to whack me across the head with an idea I'll be pleased with. All I can do is look for her in the mean time.

P.S. I'm working from an Apple computer....I HATE apple computers. With their flat keyboards, no side bars, no right-click button, their exit buttons on the wrong side and their SMUG sleek and oh-so high-resolution screen -- why was I raised with a PC?

No comments:

Post a Comment