Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog #4: Abstract Progress Report

So this week was particularly stressful as I just couldn't seem to come up with an efficient material for my armature. I explored wire, twine, wood, even dried pasta. Finally in a last ditch effort I went to the local grocery store and at random found some aluminum pie pans that have proven to work out perfectly. I seem set and ready to go. So here's a little about my project so far. Perhaps this will develop into my artists statement.

I had a specific idea and material in mind but just as our teacher had said, I found that it "wasn't working". So I had to start from scratch. I couldn't think of a shape that had any meaning or that I felt I could recreate. Then, one night while balancing homework and a Animal Planet presentation that featured Africa's Eastern Rift, I saw a shape in a rock formation that intrigued me. (mainly because it looked particularly unnatural for a rock formation) It was a v-shape. From that I created an arch. It reminded me of a number of things. From one angle it reminded me of an animal wingspan. In view of the arch, it reminded me of almost a vaginal shape...this fixed my decision to use human hair as my skin. The shape appeals to me as it strikes me as having a positive energy. Whether wings or a labia it signifies freedom, a transcension from one place to another. Earth to air, birth to death. Hearing myself say that I may change my mind from using hair to feathers. hmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment